Mark 1: 12 – 2:28
Jesus inaugurates and establishes his ministry.
Questions to consider:
- What does authority look like?
- How are power and authority different and how are they the same?
- Why was it important for Jesus to heal people and silence demons?
- What was Jesus source of authority and power?
- What function does the Holy Spirit play in the authority of Jesus?
- How is prevenient grace evidenced in Jesus ministry?
- Why are some people threatened by his authority? Which ones?
- Why do some people welcome his authority? Which ones?
- How does Jesus’ authority affect the tradition?
- Where does the peoples’ joy come from?
- How are people transformed?
- Why did the tax collectors and sinners come to Jesus’ party?
- What is the relationship between the authority of tradition and the authority of Jesus with regard to the Sabbath and fasting?
- What is the test of true religion? How does it serve mankind or serve the traditional structure?
The “gospel” speaks to us of the possibility of deliverance. This deliverance is provided by Jesus’ identification with humanity and by his work on the cross It can be immediate and is available to meet all our needs. The deliverance Jesus provides is for the whole person, for body, mind, and spirit.