John the Baptist prepares the Way.
Questions to consider:
- Why is the word “immediately” important in this book?
- What does “beginning” mean?
- What does “beginning of the gospel” mean?
- What is the “gospel”?
- What does “make his paths straight” mean?
- In the context of John’s baptism, what order should baptism, repentance, forgiveness of sins, and confession take?
- Why did the people come to see John?
- How is baptism with the Spirit more than water baptism?
The “gospel” speaks to us of the possibility of deliverance. This deliverance is provided by Jesus’ identification with humanity and by his work on the cross It can be immediate and is available to meet all our needs.