My Mom and Alzheimer’s

Alzheimer’s is a terrible disease.  I watch my mother now.  Her hospital bed has been moved to the living room so that her many hours in bed will not isolate her from the rest of the family.  She is talking at times–words with little meaning,  now fidgeting with some unseen something between her fingers, now pulling on her sheet, apparently hallucinating–so restless, so restless.  It is very sad.  And I wonder if someday I will lie in that bed.

For Mom this moment has been a long time coming–years.  Only a few weeks ago she could feed herself and walk pretty much independently.  Now she can do almost nothing for herself.  Sometimes she is able to stand (with significant support), but almost as likely she will collapse–except for the strong arms holding her up.   The Hospice assistants have been so good, so supportive.  We are thankful.  Each day MaryBeth comes in to bathe and dress her, often to feed her.  In between we attend.  We watch.  We wait.

On Sunday Timothy and I will leave.  We will try to pick up our “real” life in Wilmore for a few weeks and then we will return here to Elmira.  And again it will be:  we attend; we watch; we wait.

Lord Jesus, hear our prayer for Mom.  Hold her in your arms. . . . jlt

This entry was posted in Ideas to think about and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to My Mom and Alzheimer’s

1. Yan Chan says:

Hi Joyce,

I’m really sorry to hear about what you and your mother as well as Dr. Thomas are going through. And everyone does and does feel sad too. There’s nothing we can do and say to soothe you and lift you up and I pray that God’s Word and His grace and mercy are always your support and ever-present help as well as your comfort and encouragement at all time. If writing “out” what you are dealing with and how you feel make you feel better, please continue to write and share. And through this way I can also pray for you in a more specific way! Hang in there my dear sister. With Jesus, I believe the worst situation can be changed to a blessing one. I’ll pray that you will continue to stay still and have faith in Him!

Take care and hopefully if possible will hear from you again..

yan

2. Adriel Driver says:

Oh Joyce, I’m so sorry to hear this. What a hard time. And sad, as you’ve said. I pray for God’s grace and comfort to sustain you all these days.
    Adriel

3. Dave Heughins says:

I empathize. Marie is still mobile, but sleeping more and more of the day, so where you are we will be. But God gives grace one day at a time. Going on twelve years! Alzheimer’s is a gentle killer – a long slow glide into oblivion, but I can imagine it is tougher to come and go and see the changes starkly. Robertson Mcquilken has a beautiful book that has been an inspiration and role model for me. I will send excerpts.

4. Patti says:

We grieve with you, Joyce. Have you read “Heaven is for Real”? It will bring you much comfort as you think about the joy that your mother will have when she reaches heaven!

• elizabeth says:

joyce, what a beautiful daughter you are to your mother. sorry for this challenging time. may God continue to give you patience, peace, and strength in this time. miss you as always 6th floor friend.
      lizzie

5. Melanie says:

You are a blessing to all who know you!